MY FAVORITE QUOTES FROM BIG MAGIC
I really liked this book so, so much. It's helpful in changing your perspective on life and creativity. Easy to read. Humoristicaly wrote, with personal examples.
Here are some of my favorite parts of the book.
- “try saying this: “I enjoy my creativity.” And when you say it, be sure to actually mean it."
- “The fun part (the part where it doesn’t feel like work at all) is when you’re actually creating something wonderful, and everything’s going great, and everyone loves it, and you’re flying high. But such instants are rare. You don't just get to leap from bright moment to bright moment. How you manage yourself between those moments, when things aren't going so great, is a measure of how devoted you are to your vocation, and how equipped you are for the weird demands of creative living.Holding yourself together through all the phases of creation is where the real work lies.”
- “So the question is not so much "What are you passionate about?" The question is "What are you passionate enough about that you can endure even the most disagreeable aspects of the work.”
- “Because if you love and want something enough—whatever it is—then you don’t really mind eating the shit sandwich that comes with it.”
- “Fake it till you make it - that's the catch.”
- “Give your mind a job to do, or else it will find a job to do, and you might not like the job it invents ... It has taken me years to learn this, but it does seem to be the case if that I am not actively creating something, then I am probably actively destroying something (myself, a relationship, or my own peace of mind). ”
- “failure has a function. It asks you whether you really want to go on making things.”
- “What happens if you never get anything out of this? What happens if you pursue your passion forever, but success never comes? How will you feel then, having wasted your entire life for nothing?” My friend, with equal reason, replied, “If you can’t see what I’m already getting out of this, then I’ll never be able to explain it to you.” When it’s for love, you will always do it anyhow.”
- “Don’t rush through the experiences and circumstances that have the most capacity to transform you.”
- “So I don’t try to kill off my fear. I don’t go to war against it. Instead, I make all that space for it. Heaps of space. Every single day. I’m making space for fear right this moment. I allow my fear to live and breathe and stretch out its legs comfortably. It seems to me that the less I fight my fear, the less it fights back. If I can relax, fear relaxes, too.”